Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Implosion! BOOM!

It was there and then it was gone!  

Blake and I talked about going to see the The Plaza Hotel implode for a couple weeks.  I told Blake way in advance we were going to have to wake up very early.  So when 5 a.m. arrived and I went to wake him he quietly said, "Mom don't you think their going to show it on t.v."  I told him to watch it in person is going to be way better than television.

After Blake I went to Chase slid him out of bed, and whispered, "It's time to go watch the building fall to the ground."  Chase-bug looked at me, "I'm ready, mommy."

My little Layla was sound asleep in her pack-n-play.  She was really easy.  I dressed her in a little, cute, pink dress and buckled her up in her car seat.  I'm pretty sure she knew it was early, but that little smile peaked out and I knew she was ready for an action packed event.

Good thing my mom is here with me because she help me load the car, pack the donuts, remember to bring the jackets and the stroller, etc.

My good friend Jane got their super early (4:30 a.m.) to save us a spot on the corner of University and Polo and she saved us a really close parking space too.  Thanks Jane!  You are always great to my family.

When I was in college The Plaza Hotel was called the University Towers.  The towers, as they were known to us back then, were the "it" place to live.  

It was located on a major intersection, the corner of University and Texas.  It's very strange to drive down University and the big hotel not be there anymore.

You can read more about the towers here.  There really is lots of history behind this building.


Early, Early morning.  Blake kept asking, "Mom, so if we were not here would I be getting up for school, yet?"  Nope still in bed.  I think he thought it was way cool to be up that early.

My sweet girl.  She was a little trooper. One day I'll be able to tell her that she went to watch the big building that once stood there fall to the ground when she was only 5 months old.

Our comfy spot on the grass, thanks to Jane.  Donuts, pancakes, and juice for our early morning picnic.
In our little area we had about 50+ people.  Thanks Jane policing everyone we didn't have to worry about anyone getting in front of us!  

Jane with The Plaza to the left.
One last picture before the big implosion.

One last picture of the crowd.  It was suppose to implode at 6:30, but there happen to be a 10 minute delay.
Layla did so great!  

Helicopters circling!

The polo field (bonfire once stood) was packed, along with surrounding businesses.   I think I heard there were 4-5000 people that watched it. 

Jane had a ladder for the boys.  You see the Towers?
BOOM!
BOOM!

BOOM!








Gone!

And the crowd goes wild!!







Given it was a very early morning to get us all up and ready to watch the implosion.  I did lay in bed for a couple minutes and think, "We could watch it on television." I knew in the long run I would regret not bringing the kids.

How many kids get to watch a building implode?  

Until the kids are bigger our lives are just going to be a little hectic, but I don't want that to hold us back from doing anything.  I want them to look back on their childhood and think, "Man...look at what all my mom did for us."  I don't want them to think that since their dad left that our lives stopped.  That we kept moving forward and enjoyed all fun things!

What's next on our list...



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy
Digital Scrapbook Elements by Creations by Rachael